Monday, December 4, 2017

Review: A Scottish Lord for Christmas by Lauren Smith


A Scottish Lord for Christmas by Lauren Smith
Book Three of the Sins and Scandals series
Publisher: Forever Yours
Publication Date: December 5, 2017
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

The best gifts come wrapped in a kilt...

Beautiful Lady Rowena Pepperwirth can have any man her heart desires. Unfortunately no gentleman has elicited even the slightest flutter—until she meets the brooding Lord Forres at a holiday house party. With just one look at the dashing Scottish lord, Rowena suddenly knows what she wants for Christmas.

Quinn MacCauley, Lord Forres, is in need of a wife. When he meets the lovely Lady Rowena, he knows she'll be a good mother to his daughter and a capable household manager. But Quinn doesn't count on Rowena being the most tempting woman he's ever met. He's determined not to risk his heart, but Rowena's just as determined to give him the greatest holiday gift of all—a chance at true love.

What I Liked:

This short novel was absolutely lovely. Maybe I'm in a very Christmas-y mood? Maybe I've been in a reading slump and this book has me feeling more confident in my reading? Maybe it's just Lauren Smith's amazing stories? In any case, I loved this story. Quinn and Rowena are a fantastic couple, and their story is tugged at my heartstrings and made me sigh happily.

I read A Gentleman Never Surrenders earlier this year and really enjoyed the story. This new book is about Rowena, the younger sister of the female protagonist in the previous book. Rowena is eighteen, a new debutante, and a sweetheart. She is very caring and kind - and she is fascinated by Lord Forres. Everyone knows about s fly whenever he and Rowena are around each other. Quinn can't help but be drawn to her, even if he thinks he isn't ready to love again. But what if he is?

I actually loved both characters equally, which is surprising because usually I like one more than the other. Rowena is so sweet and selfless, and she really wants to share her life with someone else, and have many children. She has a kind, good heart, a gentle nature, and a tenacious will. 

Quinn, on the other hand, is the strong silent brooding type. He rarely smiles but he is very polite and formal. He needs a wife and mother for his daughter, but he isn't ready to love anyone yet. Quinn is selfless in his own ways, and very protective. But he also never tries to change Rowena or command her. He is so considerate of her feelings and thoughts. Quinn is a really good guy and the type of alpha male that I absolutely love.

The two of them together are really cute, but also super hot. They meet at an event for the debutantes, and they connect instantly. They have a great emotional/mental connection, but also a physical. There are some very steamy times between them! They have great chemistry.

It takes some time, but they grow to love each other. Their relationship is really sweet. My heart broke for Quinn and his grieving heart, but I was so happy whenever he let Rowena in. Don't get me wrong - the romance is sweet and wonderful. It took Quinn longer to let himself love her, but he definitely did from the start. This book, while rather short, takes place over several months. It ends in the Christmas season and it's so great! I love the holidays, especially when in romance novels.

This book ends in a lovely HEA! Quinn and Rowena - and Quinn's daughter - are a cute family, and I was so happy to see things work out. There was basically no drama, no crazy family, no blown-out-of-proportions misunderstandings... this story was great.

What I Did Not Like:

Nothing specific that I can think of!

Would I Recommend It:

If you like historical romance novels, this one is good. It's rather short, though I'm not sure if it is considered a novella (I don't think so). The story reads quickly and I was never bored at any point. I flew threw this novel and was looking for more by the end. At the same time, the ending is very wrapped-up and neat. I recommend A Gentleman Never Surrenders but this novel is even better!

Rating:

4.5 stars -> rounded up to 5 stars. I so rarely give out the 5-star-rating so you know it has to be good! This short novel made me so happy. I was cheering for Quinn and Rowena and I'm so happy they got their happy ending. Quinn especially! He is a trooper. I loved this book!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed a few of her others. This one sounds great for my holiday reads list.

    Great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a Christmasy mood too so I'll be adding this one to my list. And it's short?! Praise! I'll be on amazon tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this author before but this one sounds great. Maybe it could get me in a Christmasy mood? I do think that Quinn and Rowena sound like a great couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, yay for loving this Christmas novella so much Alyssa :D Gorgeous review. <3 Yesss for great romance and awesome characters. It sounds pretty sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!